top of page

Former Isle Of Wight Councillor Threatens Legal Action Over Bembridge Sewer Pipeline

  • Writer: Rufus Pickles
    Rufus Pickles
  • 3 hours ago
  • 2 min read

A former Isle of Wight councillor has threatened legal action against Southern Water over plans linked to a sewer overflow pipeline in Bembridge.


Conservative Warren Drew, who lost his seat at County Hall in last week’s local elections, has sent the utility company a Letter Before Action over the planned recommissioning of a Combined Sewer Overflow (CSO) pipeline at Bembridge Point.


Mr Drew warned legal proceedings could follow unless Southern Water suspends the works and explains what he describes as a failure to carry out an adequate Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA).


An EIA is used to assess the potential environmental effects of a development.


Southern Water has previously said it understands Mr Drew’s concerns regarding the Point Beach outfall and remains in discussion with him and other local stakeholders.


The company stressed that no formal plans have been drawn up and no final decisions have been made.


Mr Drew has also claimed Southern Water failed to properly consider sewage storage tanks as an alternative to discharging untreated wastewater into the sea at Bembridge Point.


CSOs are release points within the sewer network that allow untreated or partially treated sewage to enter rivers or the sea during periods of heavy rainfall or high flow, helping to prevent the wider system from becoming overwhelmed.


The issue of sewage discharges has faced growing public and regulatory scrutiny across England and Wales in recent years.


Speaking previously, Mr Drew said:

“Bembridge beach has been my refuge for 42 years — I go and sit on the sand whenever I need to get some perspective on life.
“It has been the golden playground for hundreds of families, old and young alike. That it can be despoiled for profit by a rapacious company makes me sick with rage.
“There are other solutions that can be utilised and the failure to deploy these is indicative of Southern Water’s approach.”

Mr Drew has urged Southern Water to engage more meaningfully with the community and work towards a solution supported by residents.


He said Bembridge Point sits alongside ecologically sensitive habitats, designated bathing waters and a stretch of coastline that has been central to Island community life for generations.


Residents and environmental groups, he added, have raised concerns about the potential impact of CSO discharges on water quality, marine ecology and the character of the area.


In line with standard legal practice, Mr Drew gave Southern Water 14 days to respond to the Letter Before Action.


On Thursday, he said the company had written to request more time to consider the issues raised. Mr Drew said he would agree to the extension if Southern Water commits to pausing work until it provides a substantive response.


If no agreement is reached, he said he will consider applying for an emergency temporary injunction.


A Southern Water spokesperson previously said:

“We understand Cllr Drew’s concerns about Point Beach outfall and continue to be in conversation with him, and other local stakeholders, as we work to find a long-term solution to prevent internal flooding to homes and businesses.
“However, no decisions have yet been taken or formal plans drawn up. We will keep customers and stakeholders updated as discussions progress.”

Southern Water has been approached for further comment.

Comments


bottom of page