top of page

Objections Raised Over Plans To Build Four Homes On Former Bembridge Pub Site

  • Writer: Rufus Pickles
    Rufus Pickles
  • 1 hour ago
  • 2 min read

A scheme to construct four houses on the site of a former pub and hotel has been met with resistance from an Isle of Wight parish council and Island Roads.


Mr N Henderson has sought planning consent to erect a pair of semi-detached houses and two detached chalet bungalows at 58 Steyne Road in Bembridge, land previously occupied by the now demolished Raffles Tavern.


The readvertised application also includes associated landscaping, parking and vehicle access changes.


A Planning, Design and Access Statement from Paul Stack said the development will cause no identified harm to the area’s character or residential amenity.


It said:


“The location, together with the residential character of the surrounding area provides an opportunity to bring forward a sympathetic residential redevelopment of a brownfield site.
“Each unit would provide three bedrooms with the frontage units incorporating two storey dwellings with roof accommodation and featuring strong gable features and bay windows, whilst the rearward residences would involve smaller chalet bungalow designs.”

Island Roads has objected to the plans, however, citing ‘inadequate’ parking provision and ‘sub-standard’ access for a fire engine.


Meanwhile, Bembridge Parish Council (BPC) told County Hall:

“BPC recommend that the Isle of Wight Council reject this application as the parish council agrees with the objection of Island Roads and the concerns of Southern Water.
“The committee also feel that it fails due to a lack of biodiversity net gain.”

Southern Water’s letter to planners raised concerns over ‘insufficient information’ being provided and surface water discharge to its foul and combined sewer network.


Steyne Road resident Mark Turner said:

“Being the property most affected by this development due to the close proximity, we fully support these amended plans subject to the width of the driveway being maintained and complying with the regulations regarding access for a fire engine made by Island Roads.
“These plans are much more in keeping with the local area than the previously approved flats scheme and will have less impact on our environment and local traffic, with a reduced amount of vehicles using the site.”

An April 30 plan revision added bin and cycle storage as well as a widened driveway and parking plot.


The Isle of Wight Council’s public consultation on proposal 26/00273/FUL finishes on June 8 and a decision is expected on July 1.

Comments


bottom of page