top of page

Councillors Demand Review After Firestone Copse Road Closure Concerns

  • Writer: Rufus Pickles
    Rufus Pickles
  • Jul 21
  • 2 min read

The Isle of Wight Council has agreed to launch an urgent review into the way highway closures are managed, following concerns raised over the controversial closure of Firestone Copse Road near Wootton.


At last week's Full Council meeting, councillors voted to make the issue a priority, citing concerns over highways governance, accountability and public confidence.


The motion, put forward by Council Chair Cllr Ian Dore, highlighted what he described as a lack of confidence among residents and businesses in the Island's current highways arrangements.


Speaking during the debate, Cllr Dore said:

"The Island's highways arrangements are not giving residents and businesses the confidence, clarity or accountability they deserve."

The motion specifically referred to the recent closure of Firestone Copse Road, claiming no formal recorded risk, safety or traffic displacement assessments have been made public, while no clear decision record or options appraisal has been produced.


Councillors also raised concerns over what they described as blurred accountability and inconsistent communications between Island Roads, Southern Water and the council regarding responsibility for the closure and its management.


The motion said residents and businesses experienced significant disruption, while wider concerns had been raised over councillor engagement, public communication and whether the council's own standards for transparent and accountable decision-making had been met.


As part of the motion, councillors agreed to refer the matter urgently to the appropriate scrutiny committee or committees.


They will also consider commissioning an independent contract assurance review of the Island's Highways Private Finance Initiative (PFI), including how the council's highways department works alongside Island Roads. Recommendations are expected to be discussed in September, with the issue due to return to Full Council for further debate no later than November.


During the debate, Economy, Regeneration, Transport and Infrastructure Committee Chair Cllr Julie Jones-Evans said work had already begun, with a verbal update expected at the committee's next meeting.


Conservative councillor Matthew Price also criticised the recent ten-day closure of Fairlee Road, arguing the work could have been carried out while keeping part of the road open.


Cllr Chris Jarman suggested the matter should also be considered by the Policy, Finance and Resources Committee to examine any financial implications.


Liberal Democrat councillor Andrew Garratt said it was important the council took ownership of the issue, adding that elected members had been left dealing with residents' frustrations.


Meanwhile, Reform UK councillor Les Kirkby said he believed the council and Island Roads had spent recent years "working against each other" rather than together.

Comments


bottom of page