A popular Newport takeaway has been served with a one-star food hygiene rating after the Isle of Wight Council deemed ‘major improvement’ was necessary.
During an inspection of Newport Kebab House in October, a staff member failed to wash their hands after handling raw burgers, among other breaches.
Two hygiene improvement notices were dished out to the takeaway, following the council’s visit.
A spokesperson for the St James’ Street takeaway said it is confident it runs a “clean, safe and efficient business” and has since complied with the notices.
It is now awaiting a re-inspection.
The first of the recently published notices was due to there being no controls in place to prevent cross-contamination of foods. Inspectors said they saw the same tongs being used to handle raw and cooked chicken.
A staff member was also observed failing to wash their hands after handling raw burgers, and raw meat being lifted over ready-to-eat salad items in the display counter.
Raw burgers were also being stored next to ready-to-eat cheese slices.
Inspectors also found high-risk pizza toppings, including mozzarella, cooked beef, ham and pepperoni were being stored in the countertop fridge which was measured at 14°C.
When staff were informed of the high temperatures, no corrective action was taken until an inspector instigated it, the report said.
A staff member, in a supervisory role, was unfamiliar with what documents were required to ensure monitored checks were being made.
The other notice was issued as the hand wash basin in the main kitchen was obstructed by a bin and cupboard.
Inspectors also found equipment and utensils which came into contact with high-risk foods were only being washed with a detergent, when they should have been disinfected and sanitised frequently.
A contamination risk was also identified. A cloth for staff to wipe their hands on was also being used to clean food debris from worktops. Inspectors recommended disposable cloths were used instead.
A statement from The Kebab House, in Nodehill, said following the official visit, a follow-up meeting was held to discuss their concerns about the findings and a re-inspection will take place.
The takeaway said it had also employed a food safety consultant to ensure its valued customers and staff are “taken good care of”.