On Air Now The Rewind with Nick Osborne 2:00pm - 6:00pm A-Ha - Take On Me Schedule

Isle Of Wight Police Referred To Watchdog Over Response To Suspected Ryde Murder

Police on the Isle of Wight have been referred to an independent watchdog over their response to the suspected murder of a man in Ryde.

An investigation is underway after a body of a man in his 30s was found at a flat in George Street yesterday afternoon (Tuesday).

Questions have since been raised over the speed of Hampshire Constabulary's response to the incident. 

It has been claimed officers 'did not arrive at the address until 12 hours after the initial call-out'.

The force told Isle of Wight Radio that officers attended the property twice - once in the early hours of Tuesday (4) morning and again in the afternoon.

A spokesperson said:

"The circumstances surrounding our response to this incident have been referred to the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC).

"We can confirm that police attended the address in George Street, Ryde, at approximately 2.50am on Tuesday 4 January."

A 38-year-old man arrested on suspicion of murder remains in custody.

Police say they are continuing to make enquiries to establish the full circumstances.

Acting Detective Chief Inspector, Adam Edwards, said:

“Incidents of this nature are incredibly rare on the Isle of Wight, and we can appreciate that this will cause some community concern.

“Please be reassured that enquiries are in hand and there is no wider risk to the public.

“Residents can expect to see an increased police presence in George Street and the surrounding areas while we conduct our investigation.

“We are urging anyone with information about this death to please make contact with us. We’re particularly keen to hear from anyone that may have seen, or heard, anything out of the ordinary in the area on the evening of Monday January 3, and into the early hours of Tuesday January 4.”

Anyone with information can contact police on 101, quoting Operation Amaryllis or 44220003393.